Amid the ongoing selection process for the post of Chairman, NHAI many former and senior serving IAS officers have joined the race through their applications. Reportedly, 43 applications have been received, for the post, which are undergoing the shortlisting process.
Officers who have applied for the post include:
- Dr Sudhir Krishna (Rtd IAS:KN:1977), former Secretary, Urban Development
- P K Deb (Rtd IAS:RJ:1977), former Union Sports Secretary
- A K Jain (Rtd IAS:NL:1977), former Union Secretary, Woman & Child Development
- Gurdayal Singh Sandhu (IAS:1980:RJ), Chairman of National Chemical Weapon Convention
- Vishwapati Trivedi (Rtd IAS:MP:1977), Chairman, Shipping Board
- Prem Narain (Rtd IAS:UP:1978), former Secretary, Indian Overseas Affairs
- Ravinder Singh (IAS:UP:1979), Union Culture Secretary
- Bimal Julka (IAS:MP:1979), I&B Secretary
- Ajit M Sharan (IAS:HY:1979), Union Sports Secretary
- Rohit Modi (Rtd IAS:MT:1984), the CEO of Suzlon (since sept 2012)
The Selection Committee, headed by Cabinet Secretary, is expected to interview the shortlisted candidates by the end of April this year. Rajinder Pal Singh (Rtd IAS:1976:AP), the incumbent chairman, is schedule to complete his tenure by June 11, 2015. Singh was appointed as NHAI Chairman on June 11, 2012 for a period of three years or till he would attain 65 years of age.